SARASOTA, Fla. -- Miguel Gonzalez played catch for the second consecutive day on Tuesday, and the plan is for the right-hander to return to throwing off a mound on Wednesday.
"He's fine," manager Buck Showalter said of Gonzalez, who has already thrown five bullpen sessions. "If anything, we'll probably have to slow him down at some point this spring anyway."
Gonzalez left Saturday's workout with back spasms, and the team has been cautious in bringing him along since then. The right-hander is also proceeding slowly, saying Tuesday morning he wanted to make sure he was 100 percent first.
"There's no need to hurry up and get on the mound again," Gonzalez said. "I'm not worried about that."
Kelvin De La Cruz, who has been slowed with a sore hamstring, is also expected to return to the mound on Wednesday.
Brittany Ghiroli is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, Britt's Bird Watch, and follow her on Twitter @britt_ghiroli. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.Less