CLOSE

Now Commenting On:

Showalter looking ahead to roster expansion

Showalter looking ahead to roster expansion

Showalter looking ahead to roster expansion

BALTIMORE -- Manager Buck Showalter met with Dan Duquette, executive vice president of baseball operations, on Wednesday to go over potential September callups and said that the organization is considering players who are not on the 40-man roster.

Top pitching prospect Kevin Gausman is expected to be among the callups, and bringing in reserves should allow Showalter to better distribute the load in the bullpen.

More

Showalter, who is meticulous when it comes monitoring the bullpen's workload, said that he wouldn't hesitate to stretch out relievers -- even closer Jim Johnson -- to multiple innings if needed over the next few days.

"There's not a long haul now. Our guys understand there's some different dynamics going on now with 30-something games left," Showalter said. "You are going to see [starters Scott] Feldman and Miguel [Gonzalez] in the bullpen, different areas, until we get to September. I don't think you will necessarily see us call all the 40-man callups on one day, either."

Designated hitter Wilson Betemit, who will continue his rehab on Thursday with Triple-A Norfolk, will be monitored closely over the next few days as the team weighs whether to activate him from the 60-day disabled list or extend his rehab and have him come up as part of roster expansion.

As they did last year, the Orioles will have players continue to work out at the team's spring facility in Sarasota, Fla., in case of an emergency.

Brittany Ghiroli is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, Britt's Bird Watch, and follow her on Twitter @britt_ghiroli. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Less