Tejada hit on wrist, leaves game early

Tejada hit on wrist, leaves game early

SAN DIEGO -- The longest active consecutive games streak in baseball may now be history.

Baltimore shortstop Miguel Tejada, who has played in 1,151 straight games, was plunked in his left wrist late in Wednesday's game and is currently uncertain to play on Thursday. Tejada left early and initial X-rays showed no broken bones, but the four-time All-Star was taken to the hospital for further testing.

Tejada initially said he'd play Thursday, but changed his mind after consulting the team's training staff. He currently has the fifth-longest consecutive games streak in history and has played in every game since June 2000.

"I'm worried," he said in a frank admission after the game. "I feel like everything's fine, but there's a little swelling up here. I've got to wait. I've got to go to the hospital."

Tejada passed the streaks of two Hall of Famers -- Joe Sewell and Billy Williams -- earlier this season and was 56 games away from tying Steve Garvey for the fourth-longest streak. Baltimore's cleanup hitter got hit in the eighth inning by San Diego reliever Doug Brocail and immediately registered an acute amount of pain.

Baltimore's training staff came out to check on him, but Tejada talked them into letting him stay in the game. He came around to score in the eighth, but didn't come back out to play defense. The former Most Valuable Player said he moved his wrist into a defensive position and that it may have saved him from an even greater injury.

"I'm still scared," he said about the close encounter. "I was really scared when that ball was coming at my face. I just put my hand up to make sure the ball didn't hit me in the face."

If Tejada is able to play on Thursday, he will have survived the greatest peril to his streak. The infielder has been largely indestructible, immune to illness and minor body aches. He said he can still squeeze and had no problem getting through initial medical testing, but he admitted that he's not sure whether he'll be OK to play.

"I did all the movements the trainers made me do," he said before seeing the tests. "They said they're pretty sure I'm OK, but I think they have to wait until the doctors see the X-rays. I'll play [Thursday] if I don't have anything broken in there. I'm sure I'm going to be in the lineup tomorrow. I don't want to say 100 percent, but I'm going to try to play."

Spencer Fordin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.