BOSTON -- Orioles rookie Jake Arrieta, who was planning on having the bone spur on his right elbow removed on Wednesday, will instead get a second opinion and could postpone the procedure indefinitely.
Arrieta's MRI results from Saturday will be examined by Dr. Lewis Yocum in Los Angeles and the 24-year-old, who was shut down for the season following Tuesday's start against Toronto, will decide what to do from there. Arrieta, who is with the team in Boston, is skeptical about getting the surgery done given that he hasn't had any pain or unusual soreness in his elbow. The MRI revealed that the ligament is healthy and right now, Arrieta doesn't want to fix what's not broken.
"I kind of slept on the situation personally for a night, and I really thought it over, what I want to do. I don't really want to have it done," said Arrieta, who has never spent any time on the disabled list and has avoided any significant arm injuries so far in his career. "We're getting a second opinion and we'll probably go from there, but I'm leaning toward not having it done."
Another concern is that removing the spur, which adds more flexibility to the elbow, could increase the 24-year-old's risk of needing Tommy John surgery down the road.
"Obviously with the bone spur, there's a chance where it kind of affects you at some point, but I've had it for the past six years and I've never had an issue with it and it's never gotten any worse," Arrieta said. "I just don't think surgery is the best decision now, but we'll see what the second opinion says."
For now, Arrieta will remain with the team, although that could change if Yocum wants to examine Arrieta further in person. Should Arrieta get the procedure to remove the bone spur, the recovery time would put him at about mid-October before he was full-throttle, depending on how he heals. The thought was Arrieta would get the preemptive surgery to avoid missing any time down the road and to not disrupt his offseason regimen.
Right now, Arrieta is with the team but he could fly out to Los Angeles to meet with Yocum for further examining if he can't draw a definitive conclusion from the MRI films.